Another find, on a sale rail, such a pretty little print, I couldn’t pass it by, and at £3.60, I went back and bought another one. The first one I decided to refashion into a jacket, because it was in my size and I like to refashion garments as well as harvest the fabric from them. Still undecided about the second one??
There were lots of features on this dress that I could keep. The narrow back waist tie, the sleeves and the entire body shape. For the length I simply shortened it. I found the centre front line and cut it. Because I liked the shape of the sleeve that came with the dress that I refashioned for Elena at Sewitwithlove.com, I decided to recreate it for this jacket.
I based the flares for the sleeve on a half circle shape. Measure the sleeve hem edge and apply the formula where Pye = 3.14. My sleeve measurement was 25 cm, and I wanted to find the radius, so that I could form the half circle shape from a central point and measure out. 25cm divided by 3.14 = 7.96cm.
I cut the pair from the cut off hem pieces. If I was making a skirt piece from a circle or half circle, I would leave it to hang for a few days, as it would inevitably drop at the bias areas. But for these little sleeve ends, I hemmed them before attaching.
The sleeve ends, before and after.
I used the back panels of the second dress to form the two button stands. And found a new home for some of my newly acquired vintage buttons.
I added patch pockets, I always like having pockets of some sort on jackets. And used my template method of getting a good, neat, curved shape on the edges.