I loved the look of this dress as soon as I saw the drawings. Cute collar and rever, neat bodice shape, I like the use of the tucks to replace the darts, and a good sleeve shape with the turn-up cuff detail. The Sewoverit vintage shirt dress. This is the first produced pattern I have been tempted to buy – ever!
I went to Remnant Kings fabrics in Edinburgh and found this fabric. It was £4.99 per metre, perfect, £9.98 for a jacket. I would spend more if necessary but I prefer to test patterns inexpensively! Also, it’s good to show that sewing projects are accessible to every budget. I never intended on making the dress, I rarely wear them, and I do always wear what I make. However I loved the shape and details and had already planned how I would adapt the pattern!
The pattern itself was easy to follow as I traced it off onto paper with a tracing wheel and transferred all the relevant markings. Even if I’m redrafting a pattern of my own I copy it before I cut it up. It’s a good habit to keep the original pattern as a reference. Anyone who produces their own patterns knows how easy it can be to make a mistake!
The only change I wanted to make to this pattern was to shorten it and make it into a jacket, and add a self fabric matching belt. The bodice front and back, the sleeves, the collar and facings I kept as the original. The skirt front and back pieces I made 25cm from the waist down, marked the lengths and cut. The front facing I copied and added the 25cm to it, eliminating the facing seam.
It sewed together very easily and the silhouette is great. It took me a day to make, the perfect way to spend a rainy bank holiday!
I added belt loops to each side seam to hold the belt in place. I used one of my buckles which luckily matched some old buttons I had. This fabric is so fine that I not only interfaced the belt strip but I also sewed in a cotton strip for extra firmness, from an old pillowcase. I gave it a pointed end shape and a belt loop to hold it all in place. Now ready to wear!